The Right Decision platform aims to provide a single Go-To place for:
- Quality assured decision support resources for Scotland’s health and social care professionals.
- Tools and support for Scotland’s health and social care professionals to create decision support resources to defined quality standards.
A standards-based approach
The Right Decision platform is an exemplar of the digital standards based approach advocated by Scotland’s Digital Health and Care Strategy. This means that:
- Content and tools developed through this platform can (where permission is given) be re-used and adapted by other applications. This helps to maximise consistency and efficiency in development.
- Decision support tools developed through this platform can integrate into electronic health and care record systems that use the same standards.
The Right Decision platform is a deliverable from the national Decision Support Programme, coordinated by the Scottish Government eHealth Division. Decision support is a key enabler for two major transformational strategies for Scotland’s health and care:
1. Realistic Medicine
Knowledge and decision support play a key role in delivering the goals of Realistic Medicine:
- Reducing unwarranted waste, variation and harm.
- Facilitating shared decision-making and self-management.
- Putting personal outcomes at the heart of decision-making.
- Fostering continuous improvement and innovation.
- Enabling proportionate management of risk.
2. Scotland’s Digital Health and Care Strategy
"The Decision Support Programme aims to deliver on the commitment in this strategy to “expand provision of knowledge mobilisation and decision support tools and services to support frontline practice, self-management, and shared decision-making."
The vision of the Right Decision Platform as a single Go-To Place for quality assured decision support tools and services was articulated in a national survey in 2017, to identify what decision support tools health and care staff currently use, and their priorities for future development.
Delivery of the Right Decision Platform is supported and funded by three bodies :